Tianji CAI 蔡天驥
|OFFICE HOURS||Tuesday 10am to 12pm|
Thursday 3 to 4 pm
or by appointment
|TELEPHONE||(+853) 8822 8841|
Ph.D. in Sociology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2010 USA
M.A. in Sociology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2006 USA
M.A. in Demography, Peking University, 2004 China
B.A. in Sociology, Lanzhou University, 2001 China
- Data Mining
- Quantitative Methods
- Health Behavior
- Gene and Environment Interplay
Tianji Cai is an Associate Professor at University of Macau. He received his PhD degree at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 2010. Prior to joining University of Macau, he has worked in University of North Texas for two years. His research interests concentrate on new forms of data and new methods of analysis. Reflecting on his broad intellectual pursuits, his research topics are diverse, ranging from methodological, such as quantitative methods and data mining, to substantive ones, such as gene-environmental interplay and adolescent health behaviors. He has published widely in leading international journals including American Sociological Review, American Journal of Sociology, Demography, Sociological Methodology, Sociological Methods & Research, Chinese Sociological Review, etc.
Identifying and preventing of cybercrimes: evidence from sentencing documents in China MYRG 2019-2021
The trend of drunk driving in Macau and Hong Kong MYRG 2018-2019
Estimating size of drug users in Macau FDCT 2016-2018
Effect of Genetic Architecture and Occupation on Cognitive Functioning FDCT 2015-2017
Effect of Sampling Weights on the Estimation of Multilevel Models When Design and Model Hierarchies are Inconsistent MYRG 2015-2018
The characteristics and long term effects of social withdrawal: A multi-dimensional network perspective MYRG 2015-2017
Effect of genetic architecture and occupation on cognitive functioning 2014-2015
- Li, Fumin, Yisu Zhou, and Tianji Cai* (2019). “Trails of Data: Three Cases for Collecting Web Information for Social Science Research”, Social Science Computer Review (Forthcoming) https://doi.org/10.1177/0894439319886019.
Xia, Yiwei., Yisu Zhou, & Tianji Cai*. (2019). gidm: A command for generalized inflated discrete models. The Stata Journal, 19(3), 698–718. https://doi.org/10.1177/1536867X19874246
Xie, Liyi, Xuhui Bao, Tianji Cai, Susan G. Silva, Jinli Ma, Zhen Zhang, Xiaomao Guo*, & Lawrence B. Marks. “Elevated risk of radiotherapy-associated second malignant neoplasms in young African American women with breast cancer”, International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics (forthcoming), DOI:10.1016/j.ijrobp.2019.06.010
- Xia, Yiwei,Yisu Zhou, Li Du, and Tianji Cai*. “Mapping Trafficking of Women in China: Evidence from Court Sentences”, Journal of Contemporary China (forthcoming), DOI: 10.1080/10670564.2019.1637564.
- Xin, Yanyu, and Tianji Cai* (2019). “Paying Money for Freedom: Effects of Monetary Compensation on Sentencing for Criminal Traffic Accident Offenses in China”, Journal of Quantitative Criminology，DOI: 10.1007/s10940-019-09409-w.
- Xia, Yiwei, Tianji Cai*, and Hua Zhong (2019). “Effect of Judges’ Gender on Rape Sentencing: A Data Mining Approach to Analyze Judgment Documents”, The China Review, 19(2), 125-149. Q2 32/68 in Area Studies
- Xin, Yanyu, and Tianji Cai* (2019). “Child Trafficking in China: Evidence from Sentencing Documents”, International Journal of Population Studies, , 4(2):1-10. DOI: 10.18063/ijps.v4i2.817.
- Wang, Hongyu*, Tianji Cai, Yanyu Xin, and Baichao Chen (2019). “The Effects of Previous and Current Instrumental Involvement and Expressive Involvement on Online Political Participation among Chinese College Students”, Sociological Inquiry, 89(2), 214-238. DOI: 10.1111/soin.12252.
- Cai, Tianji*, Li Du, Yanyu Xin and Lennon Chang (2018). “Characteristics of cybercrimes: evidence from Chinese judgment documents”, Police Practice and Research: An International Journal, 19(6), 582-595, DOI: 10.1080/15614263.2018.1507895
- Wang, Hongyu*, Tianji Cai and Guangchao Charles Feng (2018). “Media exposure and Chinese college students' attitudes toward China's maritime claims and disputes in the South and East China Seas”, 4:1482995 Cogent Social Sciences (OASS),4(1), 1-15. DOI: 10.1080/23311886.2018.1482995
- Cai, Tianji*, Yiwei Xia, and Yisu Zhou (2018). “Generalized Inflated Discrete Models: A Strategy to Work with Multimodal Discrete Distributions”, Sociological Methods & Research, DOI: 10.1177/0049124118782535 (Forthcoming).
- Cai, Tianji*, Yiwei Xia (2018). “Estimating size of drug users in Macau: an open population capture-recapture model with data augmentation using public registration data”, Asian Journal of Criminology, 13(3), 193-206. DOI: 10.1007/s11417-018-9266-0.
- Cai, Tianji, Yisu Zhou*, Michael Niño, and Nichola Driver (2018). “The School Contextual Effect of Sexual Debut on Sexual Risk-Taking: A Joint Parameter Approach”, Journal of School Health, 88(3): 200-207.
- Cai, Tianji*, and Hongyu Wang. (2018). “Comparing weighting methods for non-response in the HKPSSD survey and the BCSPS”, Chinese Sociological Review, 50(1): 1-26.
- Niño, Michael D.*, Tianji Cai, Xochitl Mota-back, and Joseph Comeau (2017). “Gender differences in trajectories of alcohol use from ages 13 to 33 across Latina/o ethnic groups”, Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 180: 113-120.
- Wang, Hongyu*, Tianji Cai, Yi Mou, and Shifa Yong. (2017). “Traditional resources, Internet Resources and Youth Online Political Participation: the Resource Theory Revisited in the Chinese Context”, Chinese Sociological Review, 49(3): 1-22.
- Niño, Michael D.*, Gabe Ignatow, and Tianji Cai. (2017). “Social Isolation, Strain, and Youth Violence”, Youth Violence and Juvenile Justice, 15(3): 299-313.
- Wang, Hongyu*, and Tianji Cai (2017). “Parental Involvement, Adolescents’ Self-Determined Learning, and Academic Achievement in Urban China”, International Journal of Psychology, 52(1): 58-66.
- Niño, Michael*, Tianji Cai, Gabriel Ignatow, Philip Yang, (2017). “Generational Peers and Alcohol Misuse”, International Migration Review, 51(1): 67-96.
- Zhou, Yisu*, Tianji Cai, and Dan Wang, (2016). “Social Segregation in Hong Kong’s Schools: 2000–2012”, Chinese Sociological Review,48(3): 248-270.
- Niño, Michael*, Tianji Cai, and Gabriel Ignatow, (2016). “Social isolation, drunkenness, and cigarette use among adolescents”, Addictive Behaviors, 53: 94-100.
- Guo, Guang*, Yi Li, Tianji Cai, Hongyu Wang, and Greg Duncan, (2015). “Peer Influence, Genetic Propensity, and Binge Drinking: A Natural Experiment and a Replication”. American Journal of Sociology, 121(3): 914-954.
- Guo, Guang*, Yilan Fu, Hedwig Lee, Tianji Cai, Kathleen Mullan Harris, (2014). “Recognizing a small amount of superficial genetic differences across African, European and Asian Americans helps understand social construction of race”. Demography, 51(6): 2337-2342.
- Densley, James A.*, Tianji Cai, Susan Hilal (2014). “Social dominance orientation and trust propensity in street gangs”, Group Processes & Intergroup Relations，17(6): 763-779.
- Guo, Guang*, Yilan Fu, Hedwig Lee, Tianji Cai, Kathleen Mullan Harris, Yi Li, (2013). “Genetic Bio-Ancestry and Social Construction of Racial Classification in Social Surveys in the Contemporary United States”, Demography, 51(1): 141-172.
- Shen, Yuying*, Dale E. Yeatts, Tianji Cai, Philip Q. Yang, Cynthia M. Cready, (2013) “Social Capital and Self-Rated Health Among Middle-Aged and Older Adults in China: A Multilevel Analysis”, Research on Aging, 36(4): 497-521
- Cai, Tianji*, (2013). “Investigation of Ways to Handle Sampling Weights for Multilevel Model Analyses”, Sociological Methodology, 43(1): 178-219.
- Guo, Guang*, Tianji Cai, Rui Guo, Hongyu Wang, and Kathleen Harris, (2010). “The Dopamine Transporter Gene, a Spectrum of Most Common Risky Behaviors, and the Legal Status of the Behaviors”, PLoS ONE.5(2): e9352.
- Guo, Guang*, Glen H. Elder, Tianji Cai and Nathan Hamilton. (2009). “Gene–environment interactions: Peers’ alcohol use moderates genetic contribution to adolescent drinking behavior”, Social Science Research. 38: 213-224.
- Guo, Guang*, Roettger Michael, and Tianji Cai. (2008). “The Integration of Genetic Propensities into Social-Control Models of Delinquency and Violence among Male Youths”, American Sociological Review. 73: 543-68.
- Guo, Guang* and Yuying Tong and Tianji Cai. (2008). “Gene by Social-Context Interactions for Number of Sexual Partners among Male Youths: Genetics-informed Sociology”. American Journal of Sociology. 114 Sppl: S36-S66
- Cai, Tianji*, Yisu Zhou (2016). “What should sociologists know about big data?” ISA eSymposium for Sociology, 6(3):1-9
- 李德*, 蔡天骥, 马岩, 张小华, 林建, 唐伟, 叶嘉茵, 夏一巍. (2015). 澳門在學青少年與藥物2014年調查報告.
- 李涌平*, 蔡天骥 (2014). “理解单独二胎人口政策:为了未来人口发展的平衡”, 人口与发展 (CSSCI), 06(20):104-109
- Lindblad, Mark R., Quercia, Roberto G., Riley, Sarah, Jacoby, Melissa B., Cai, Tianji, Wang, Ling and Manturuk, Kim, Coping with Adversity: Personal Bankruptcy Decisions of Lower-Income Homeowners Before and After Bankruptcy Reform (April 26, 2011). Available at SSRN: http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2031622
- 蔡天骥*, 蒋耒文, 任强. (2005). “住房状况对老年居住方式的影响”, 国务院人口普查办公室和国家统计局人口和社会科技统计司编, 《2000年人口普查国家级重点课题研究报告》第二卷, 民族·老龄化·家庭与住房, 第882-895页, 北京: 中国统计出版社。
- 蔡天骥*. (2004). 女性独居老人自评生活满意度的影响因素分析，中国人口科学 (CSSCI) ，增刊(老龄健康与社会经济发展专辑): 70-74
- 李玲*, 王启俊, 蔡天骥, 祝伟星. (2004). 肿瘤监测资料统计中的人口预测, 中国肿瘤 (CSCI), 13(12): 754-756.
- Cai, Tianji (2010). Review of Bayesian Statistical Modeling, by Peter Congdon. Sociological Methods & Research, 2010(39): 302
SOCB-352 Survey and Sampling
SOCY-215 Understanding Population
MSCR-126 Special Topics in Criminology and Criminal Justice