Melody Chia-Wen LU 呂家玟
Associate Professor & Undergraduate Programme Coordinator in Sociology
|OFFICE HOURS||Tuesdays & Fridays |
or by appointment
|TELEPHONE||(+853) 8822 8842|
Ph.D. in Anthropology/Development Sociology and Chinese Studies, Leiden University, the Netherlands
M.A. in Development Studies, Institute of Social Studies, Erasmus University Rotterdam, the Netherlands
- Gender and Sexuality
- Care and Welfare Regimes in East and Southeast Asia
- Mobility in the Casino Industry in Asia
- Contemporary Chinese migration to Lusophone Africa
Melody Chia-Wen LU is an Associate Professor at University of Macau. She received her PhD in anthropology and developmental sociology in Leiden University, the Netherlands. Her research interests include migration regimes and control in Asia, reproductive and care labor and transnational families, labor mobility in the leisure and gaming industry, and contemporary Chinese out-migration to Asia and Africa. She is the editor of Asian Cross-border Marriage Migration: Demographic Patterns and Social Issues and the author/co-author of journal articles in Environment & Planning D, Global Networks, Citizenship Studies, Current Sociology and Children’s Geographies. She also serves in the editorial board of Journal of Contemporary Asia. Prior to joining the University of Macau, she was Research Fellow at the National University of Singapore and the International Institute for Asian Studies, the Netherlands. Melody Lu teaches migration and multiculturalism, sociology of consumption and leisure, gender and sexuality, qualitative research methods and the sociological theory. She won the Outstanding Teaching Award at the Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Macau in 2017.
Co-principal Investigator, The Role of Intellectuals in China’s Ethnic Studies and Ethnic Policymaking, funded by University of Macau
Co-principal Investigator, Public Space and Social Change: Past, Present and Future in Macau and São Paulo, funded by University of Macau
Principal Investigator, Casino and Development in Asia, funded by University of Macau
Co-principal investigator, Casi Mobilities: Labour Migration, Global Consumption and Regulation in Singapore and Macau, funded by HSS Fund, National University of Singapore (NUS) and SRG grant, University of Macau.
Co-principal Investigator, Great Migrations: Southeast Asia and New Theorizations of Global Mobilities, funded by National University of Singapore.
2009 - 2011
Principal Investigator, Technologies of Governmentality and Migration Policies in South Korea, funded by the Korea Foundation and International Institute for Asian Studies, the Netherlands.
2010 - Present
Principal Investigator, Chinese and Indian Migrant and Trading Networks in rural South Africa and Mozambique and their impacts to local communities
● Melody CW Lu, Juan Zhang, Heng Leng Chee and Brenda SA Yeoh (2016) Multiple Mobilities and Entrepreneurial Modalities among Chinese Marriage Migrants in Malaysia. Current Sociology 64(3):411-429
● Cheryll Alipio, Melody C.W. Lu and Brenda S.A. Yeoh (2015) Editorial, special Section on Asian Children and Transnational Migration, Children’s Geographies, 13(3): 255-262.
● Zhang J, M.C.W. Lu and Yeoh B S A (2015) Cross-border marriage, transgovernmental friction, and waiting, Environment and Planning D: Society and Space, 33(2) 229 – 246.
● Chee, Heng Leng, Melody C.W. Lu and Brenda S.A. Yeoh (2014) Ethnicity, citizenship and reproduction: Taiwanese and PRC wives in Malaysia, Citizenship Studies, 18(8): 823-838.
● Lu, Melody Chia-Wen and Shin Hyunjoon (2013) Ethnicizing, capitalizing and nationalizing: South Korea and the returning Korean-Chinese, in Xiang Biao, Brenda Yeoh and Mika Toyota (eds.) Return: Nationalizing Transnational Mobility in Asia. Durham: Duke University Press: 170-185.
● Lu, Melody Chia-Wen (2013) Guest worker policies, East and Southeast Asia, in Immanuel Ness (ed.)Encyclopedia of Global Human Migration. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing: 1624-1629.
● Lu, Melody Chia-Wen (2012) Transnational marriages as a strategy of care exchange: veteran soldiers and their mainland Chinese spouses in Taiwan. Global Networks, 12:02, 233-251.
● Lu, Melody Chia-Wen (2011) Appearance and techniques of migration control: examining labour migration regimes in East Asia, in Elspeth Guild and Sandra Mantu (eds.) Constructing and Imagining Labour Migration: Perspectives of Control from Five Continents. Surrey: Ashgate: 87-108.
● Yang Wen-Shan and Melody Chia-Wen Lu (eds.) (2010) Asian Cross-border Marriage Migration: Demographic Patterns and Social Issues. Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press.
● Lu, Melody Chia-Wen (2005) Commercially arranged marriage migration: case studies of Cross-border marriages in Taiwan. Indian Journal of Gender Studies, 12: 2&3: 275-303.
- Migration and Multicultural Society
- Sociology of Consumption and Leisure
- Gender and Society
- Understanding Population
- Qualitative Research Methods
2017 Outstanding Teaching Award, Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Macau
Asia Research Institute (Asian Migration Cluster), National University of Singapore
International Institute for Asian Studies, the Netherlands